- Food Safe Course – Deadline for registration has been extended to April 13. The course is April 22. 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Subsidized cost to students is $66.50. There is a minimum of 12 students required to maintain this price-the course will be cancelled if we do not get the required 12 students. Register at the office. You will not be considered registered until your fee is paid. The minimum age to enrol is 14. Community Members please see Community Events below to participate in this course.
- April 13 & 14 are early dismissal days. Buses will run 1 hour early. Please call the office to book a time to meet with your child’s teachers.
- April 15 – 1:30 PM A hip-hop artist, Art Starts Perfomance by Shawn Booth. Motivational TEDx speaker. Using his award-winning musical talent, he shares his captivating hip-hop biographies of heroes—like Terry Fox and Malala Yousafzai—so students come to realize the greatness we all have within. As a recording artist, his music videos have climbed the charts of MuchMusic’s Top 30 Countdown.
- April 21 – Deadline for Mother’s Day Spring flower basket orders.
- April 22 – is a Pro-D day – No students in school
- April 22 – Food Safe course – 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM there are no busses running so students must make their own way to and from school. Bring a lunch and snacks. This is a full day.
- April 29 – Sign up list on the bulletin board. Registration day for Junior Golf. 3:30 pm at the golf course. Bring your $20.00 (see below)
NEW BOOKS IN THE LIBRARY
The Orenda The Revenant
The Illegal Ready Player One
An Abundance of Katherines Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School
Now and Forever Guinness Book of World Records 2016
Confessions of a Hater The Call of the Wild (graphic Novel)
Thing Explainer: Complicated Stuff in Simple Words A Wrinkle in Time (Graphic Novel)
Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance The Hobbitt (Graphic Novel)
Oxford Atlas of the World 2015 The Alchemist (Graphic Novel)
The Martian The Kite Runner (Graphic Novel)
How to Like Yourself: A Teen’s Guide to Quieting Your Inner Critic
City of Thorns: Nine Lives in the World’s Largest Refugee Camp
- We are missing uniforms from both current and past SSS grads. Parents & neighbours PLEASE go through closets/drawers and recover uniforms and uniform shorts and drop them off at the school so they can go back into circulation. Thank you!
- April 13 & 14 are early dismissal days. Buses will run 1 hour early. Please call the office to make arrangements to meet your child’s teachers on the early dismissal days Wednesday April 13 and Thursday, April 14 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM some teachers are available until 4:30. Please contact teachers directly for discussions outside of these times.
- At the March 31 Public Facilities meeting SD8 released a Draft Facilities Plan for 2016-2024 after months of input and consultation. Please take a look at what will be coming Salmo’s way pending final acceptance of the plan. Ron or Sacha can help with any questions you may have. Here is a link to the draft plan: http://www.sd8.bc.ca/Publ/SD8FacilitiesPlan-Draft1A-BoardWorkingSession-20160331.pdf
The draft plan feedback period is open from March 29, 2016 to April 30, 2016. The Board will debate a final plan on May 3, 2016 at the Nelson Board Office at 5:00 p.m. E-mail your comments and feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SSS PAC meetings are held at 6:00 PM the first Tuesday of each month in the Library.
- The regular DPAC meetings will be held on the following dates: April 21, 6:00 pm, May 26, 6:00 pm, June 16, 6:00 pm – Parent Celebration.
The following menu is subject to change without notice:
- Monday – No Students in School
- Tuesday – Grilled Cheese
- Wednesday – Chicken Caesar Salad
- Thursday – Spaghetti
- Friday – Ham Wraps with Hummus
The Cafeteria accepts cash or you can arrange with the Secretary to have a pre-paid tab on deposit that reduces for each lunch consumed. All lunches are $3.00. Please make cheques payable to Salmo Secondary School.
- Food Safe course -April 22 – 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM Location: Salmo Secondary School – 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Please sign in at the office when you arrive. Cost: $95.00 includes text and certificate. Register online at email@example.com or call 250-364-5770.
- Village of Salmo Council Meetings – We are encouraging high-school students to attend these meetings to develop greater student input in village decision making. Regular Meetings are held on the following Tuesdays at 7:00 pm at the Village Office unless otherwise posed by the Village Office: April 12, April 26, May 10, May 24, June 14, June 28, July 12, August 9, Sept 13..
- The Skatebowl is open Mondays and Fridays after school 3:30-5:00pm
- May 6th – the Salmo Valley Public Library Grand Opening 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM food and refreshments .
- Mr Doerksen’s grade 7-9 Leadership students will be canvassing the town for the Mother’s Day Spring flower basket fundraiser in the next couple of weeks. – Deadline for orders is April 21, 2016.
- April 29 – Registration day for Junior Golf. There is a sign-up list on the bulletin board or call 357-2226 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org . The fee is $20.00 payable at the Golf Course when you show up to register there on April 29 at 3:30 pm. There will be 2 groups; one starting at 3:30 – 4:30 for beginner and 4:30 – for advanced. There is a possibility of getting a Golf Pro in for the more advanced juniors. Minimum age is 7.
- ParKour Salmo – Red Path Movement- April 23 & 24, 9am to noon for ages 6-14, 1pm to 4pm for ages 15+. Cost: $40/participant. Maximum 20 participants per session – must pre-register to reserve your spot. For more information contact Shawna@svycc.ca or 250-357-2320